Family reunification program: who can be transported to Canada

Details about family sponsorship to Canada in 2022: who can be a sponsor, how to bring your parents, child, husband, wife or civil partner, grandparents.

The article is relevant for those who live outside of Quebec. This province has its own family sponsorship program with its own requirements for family reunification in Canada. A separate article will be added about it a little later.

Sponsorship of a spouse, partner or child

Details on who can become a sponsor and who is not, what are the requirements for sponsored family members, how much money it costs, the step-by-step process of family reunification.

Who can become a sponsor

To be eligible to sponsor and help your loved ones immigrate to Canada , you must meet the following criteria:

  • over 18 years old;
  • are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
  • prove that you do not receive social assistance from the state (except for disability);
  • be able to provide for the basic needs of sponsored people (food, shelter, clothing, etc.).

If you are a Canadian citizen residing outside of Canada, you must prove that you will be living in Canada when your sponsors become permanent residents.

When applying, you will need to fill out and sign a form that includes 2 basic requirements for family reunification:

  1. Commitment (undertaking) :
    • provide financial support to your family members from the moment they become permanent residents of Canada;
    • Pay off any Provincial or Territory Social Assistance that members of your Sponsored Family receive during this time.
  2. Sponsorship agreement , under which:
    • you provide for the basic needs of your family members;
    • the person you are sponsoring will make every effort to support themselves and their family members.

Income requirement

In most cases, proof of income is not required to sponsor a spouse, partner, or dependent child. This is required only in the following cases:

  • you are sponsoring a child who has a child of their own;
  • You are sponsoring a spouse or partner who has a child and that child has a child of their own.

In such situations, you must show the minimum required annual income. It depends on the size of the family:

Family size (person) Minimum annual income (CAD)
1 (sponsor) 25 921
2 32 270
3 39 672
4 48 167
5 54 630
6 61 613
7 68 598

Who cannot become a sponsor

You cannot sponsor a spouse, partner, or child if:

  • are temporarily in Canada: tourism, education, work;
  • applied for permanent residence, but it is still being processed;
  • do not have the means to support the people you plan to sponsor (if applicable in your case);
  • have already applied to sponsor this person, and the decision on the application has not yet been made;
  • did not return the money for the immigration loan;
  • did not pay child support ordered by the court. If you pay and settle this issue, you can become a sponsor;
  • did not provide financial support to a person who was previously sponsored;
  • were declared bankrupt;
  • have been convicted of attempting, threatening or committing a violent felony, any crime against a relative, or any sexual offense within or outside of Canada;
  • are in prison;
  • cannot legally remain in Canada.

You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse or partner if:

  • were themselves sponsored by a spouse or civil partner, and less than 5 years have passed since obtaining permanent resident status;
  • are still financially responsible for the previous spouse or partner you sponsored.

Sponsored Family Member Requirements

Your parents, grandparents and their dependents must provide:

  • completed forms and required documents;
  • any additional information that may be requested during the processing of the application, including:
    • the results of the medical examination ;
    • a certificate from the police;
    • biometrics .


Can be of any gender, as well as:

  • is legally married to you;
  • 18 years and older.

Civil partner

Can be of any gender, as well as:

  • is not legally married to you;
  • 18 years and older;
  • lived with you for at least 1 year in a row without long separations. These relationships will need to be proven. More details on the page: how to prove civil relations for immigrating to Canada .

dependent child

Children may be considered dependents if they meet the following requirements:

  • they are under 22;
  • they do not have a spouse or civil partner.

Children aged 22 and over are considered dependents if they meet the following requirements:

  • cannot financially support themselves due to their mental or physical condition;
  • have been dependent on their parents for financial support since the age of 22.

When sponsoring only your dependent child:

  • it should be borne in mind that if you are a citizen of Canada, then he may also be a citizen of the state, even if he was born in another country. You cannot sponsor a child who is already a citizen;
  • if you are sponsoring only your child without a spouse or civil partner, you must list the child as the main applicant on your application. You will also need to show that the other parent or legal guardian agrees with the child’s immigration;
  • if your child has a child of his own (your grandson), then he must also be included in the list of dependents.

Sponsored by a spouse or partner and their or your common child:

  • the application must list a spouse or partner as the main applicant and the child as a dependent;
  • if this child has a child of his own, then he must be indicated in the application.

Family Sponsorship Canada Processing Timelines and Fees

The processing time for reunification of a spouse or partner in Canada is about 12 months, for a child it depends on the country.

months, for a child it depends on the country.

Who do you sponsor Fees (CAD)
Spouse or partner 1 050
Sponsorship fee 75
Application processing 475
Right to permanent residence 500
dependent child 150
Sponsorship fee 75
Application processing 75
Include any dependent child 150
1 person 85
For a family of 2 or more (if served at the same time in the same place) 170

Sponsorship step by step

In order to apply for sponsorship, you must send 2 applications at the same time: the first for you to become a sponsor, the second for the permanent residence of a spouse, partner or child.

The process of sponsoring a spouse, partner or child consists of 3 main steps:

  1. Prepare an application package .It is available at this link . Includes:
    • a list of documents for you and the people you want to sponsor;
    • forms that you and sponsored people must complete;
    • instructions to help you and your family members complete the forms correctly.

    Before submitting, be sure that:

    • you are eligible to be a sponsor;
    • you have listed all family members (spouse or partner, as well as children and children of children);
    • all information in the application is true;
    • application has been completed.
  2. Pay your fees .In most cases, fees will include:
    • sponsorship fee;
    • payment for the right to permanent residence in Canada;
    • fee for biometrics.

    All fees must be paid online at this link . There you can also calculate the amount of fees for your specific situation.

    Fees Sponsored by Spouse and Child
    Spouse and Child Sponsored Fee Example

    You will also face additional costs for:

    • passing a medical examination;
    • obtaining a certificate from the police in some situations;
    • delivery of a package of documents to Canada;
    • translation of documents.
  3. Apply now .Having prepared all the necessary documents and forms, you need to send them by regular mail or by courier to Canada for consideration.

Once you have applied and paid the fees, letters will be sent to your family members asking for biometrics. Within 30 days after that, they will have to submit biometrics, taking these letters with them.

Also, during the processing of your application, a request for a medical examination to your family members will be sent. It must be passed by a spouse or partner, and a dependent child, even if you do not sponsor them in the current application.

Any changes in the family situation must be reported to Immigration Canada. These changes include:

  • the birth or adoption of children;
  • marriage or divorce;
  • death of the applicant or dependent.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.