We talk about the changes due to COVID-19, how the process goes, which educational institution you need to look for and what to do after getting an education 🎓.
It should be noted right away that this method of immigration is relevant for those who have no other options for immigration.
- need money: 12,000 Canadian dollars – the average cost of a year of study. Also spending on housing, food, etc.;
- long process: at least 1 year of study + 1 year of work + 0.5-1 year of the immigration procedure itself;
- in people from 30-35 years old, the chances of obtaining a study permit are reduced, as it becomes more difficult to prove your need for this;
- additional monetary costs and problems if you plan to bring your partner / husband and / or child with you for the duration of your studies.
Otherwise, in a good scenario, this method almost guarantees success.
Why Studying in Canada Opens the Doors to Immigration
After successfully graduating from an educational institution, you can get a work permit – post-graduation work permit (PGWP) .
This will allow you to find a Canadian employer and gain the coveted work experience in this state. After working for at least a year, you will receive the following bonuses:
- compliance with the criteria of the Canadian Experience Class federal program ;
- when immigrating through the CEC , you will not have to confirm the availability of money for settling in Canada;
- additional points when calculated by the CRS system, which will help you score a passing score and get an invitation to immigration;
- having proven yourself to the employer, you can count on the extension of the work contract, which will also give additional CRS points;
- a number of provincial programs target those who have worked in their province or territory. Consequently, the chances of immigrating through one of them increase.
What does studying in Canada give without further work to obtain permanent residence:
- the opportunity to immigrate through a number of provincial programs that are designed for graduates of their educational institutions;
- the opportunity to improve the level of language proficiency, which will greatly affect your scores and, accordingly, the chances of success;
- additional points for studying in Canada (from 2 years) when calculating compliance with the Federal Skilled Worker program ;
- additional points for study (from 1 year) when calculated by the CRS system;
- the ability to officially work up to 20 hours a week;
- it is easier to find a Canadian employer and get a job offer while in this state.
In addition, during your studies, your spouse is eligible to receive an Open Work Permit . Read more about this in the article: work permit for the spouse of a student in Canada.
We think that everything is clear with the benefits. Of course, the main task is to unlearn and get at least a year of work experience.
How is the process of immigrating to Canada through study
Below is a list of all steps in this process followed by a detailed description of each.
Studying in Canada is quite an expensive pleasure. As a rule, the price for a one-year course starts from 8-10 thousand Canadian dollars. Plus, spending on household expenses, food, tickets.
This issue must be analyzed in advance, calculate the estimated costs, prepare the required amount.
Most educational institutions require the results of a language test (IELTS Academic). And not just any results, they should show that your language level is suitable for learning. Otherwise, you will not be accepted.
IELTS 6.5 is usually required for admission to a Canadian college/university.
You will also need translated documents on education: certificate, diploma, etc.
All this information is best requested by email from the university/college you are considering.
If you have received a study permit that starts in the spring, summer or fall of 2020, but cannot enter Canada due to the virus, then:
- you can start learning online;
- you can complete up to 50% of the program online if the borders are still closed;
- are still eligible for the PGWP.
Evaluation of chances and selection of a program
First of all, you need to soberly assess your situation and choose a work program for immigration, as well as understand how many years you need to study / work in Canada in order to score a passing score.
468 is the minimum number of Express Entry points required to qualify for the last time.
This will require 2 of our calculators: to check eligibility for the FSW program and to calculate points in Express Entry .
- Federal Skilled Worker.
After studying for a year in Canada, you can get 15 additional CRS points, as well as improve your English proficiency, which will positively affect your scores.
Take this into account when calculating, and if the passing score is scored, then you can apply for immigration immediately after receiving a Canadian education.
If there are not enough points, or you do not meet the selection criteria for this program (there was a calculator above for verification), then it is better to go to the second paragraph.
- Canadian Experience Class.
In the case of this program, after training, you need to obtain a work permit in Canada. After approval, work for a year, which will allow you to meet the CEC selection criteria .
Next, you need to calculate your CRS scores. If the checkpoint is dialed, then after a year of work we apply for immigration. It also suggests that a one-year training program is enough for us.
If there are still not enough points (although this is almost impossible), then you need to choose a training program from 2 years, and then work out 2-3 years. Another option is to go to point number 3.
- provincial programs.
There are programs that are designed for graduates of local universities. If none of the options above suit you, then you need to analyze the programs of the provinces and territories and choose the one that will allow you to successfully emigrate from your country to Canada.
After choosing an educational institution in that province or territory.
At the moment we are working on the section with provincial programs, so the information will appear a little later.